According to the CDC:
- Nearly 1 in 5 births to teen mothers, ages 15 to 19, is a repeat birth.
- About 183 repeat teen births occur each day in the US.
- About 1 in 5 sexually active teen mothers use the most effective types of birth control after they have given birth.
According to the Guttmacher Institute:
“About half of all U.S. women having an abortion have had one previously. According to the 2006 Guttmacher Institute report Repeat Abortion in the United States, women having a second or higher-order abortion are substantially different from women having a first abortion in only two important ways: They are more than twice as likely to be age 30 or older and, even after controlling for age, almost twice as likely to already have had a child. (Among all women having an abortion, six in 10 are mothers.)”
In speaking solely for our agency, Building Arizona Families; I get asked this question often from adoptive families: “What are the chances that our child’s birth mother may get pregnant and choose adoption again?”
The answer may surprise you…very possible. We do everything we can as an adoption agency to assist our birth mother in leaving our adoption program after placement in a better state that she came to us in. We offer to assist birth mothers obtain birth control and assist them long term through the Donna K. Evans Program.
Through the Donna K. Evans Program, after the baby has been born and placed for adoption, Birth Mothers are offered:
Adoption Aftercare Services Provided
- Birth Mother Case Management
- Birthmother Support Group
- Mentoring and Peer Support
- Emotional support
- Housing and shelter referrals and resources
- Emergency Housing Assistance
- Emergency food bags
- Resources for Domestic Violence Assistance Medical/Behavioral Health/Substance Abuse Resources
- Classes & Workshops
- Access to computer stations for housing, career, and educational needs when available.
- Resources for assistance with academic and career training admissions and scholarships process.
- Transportation resources
- Job search resources and assistance
- Assistance with clothing and attire from the clothing closet on site
- Referral to local social service resources and support
- Mailboxes for delivery of personal items for social services and job-related needs
- Judgment free/ stigma free environment
- Providing services for basic needs; food, housing, and jobs
- Substance abuse recovery and mental health resource referrals and support
- Education and career training
- Support group with birth mothers for vital peer support and empathy
- 1:1 case management for support, guidance, and empowerment
- Coordination with other case management providers
- Computer usage location
- Non-Perishable food pantry
- Referral resource center
- Continuity of care
- Birth control referral assistance
- Assistance with local state resources
- Financial rebuilding assistance
However, some women do find themselves experiencing an unplanned pregnancy and choose adoption again. When they come back to our program, sometimes they do want to match with the same adoptive family!
At the Donna K. Evans Foundation, our number one goal is to empower, elevate and assist women in believing that they matter, their adoption choice matters and that negative life cycles can stop. We believe in the power of hope, promise and the will to succeed. As a community of adoption supporters, it is critical to support life and the power of it. Being a believer in life does not have to stop at the birth of a baby but continues through the life of the birth mother.
The Donna K. Evans Foundation
8433 N. Black Canyon Highway Building 6, Suite 158 Phoenix, AZ 85021 (602) 595-8592